Reflections in Daffodil Flats

Daffodils by Mark Houser. Used with permission.

"[Daffodil Flats is] The best possible and easiest to sell excuse to bring people to Linville Gorge." Spencer Clary (@canyoneer_engineer)

Every year during the late weeks of February and the early weeks of March, a seemingly insignificant flat patch of land in the south eastern end of the Linville Gorge erupts into a magnificent yellow field of daffodils. Jenny and I were able to visit just before peak bloom in 2013, but unfortunately missed it this year. Several friends of mine went, via several routes ranging from hard to harder to hardest, so I got to see Daffodil Flats blow up my Facebook feed for a couple weeks. It was during this time that it occurred to me there are many parallels to Daffodil Flats. It acts as a sort of foreshadow of Zion. Not the national park, or even heaven, but when the final chapter of this age is over and the beginning of eternity writes its first page in the New Creation. The kingdom of God that is everlasting. The place the book of Revelation tells us about when, in the presence of God, every tear is wiped away, and death and suffering are no more. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Have you ever heard it said of someone that they were so heavenly minded, they were of no earthly good? This seems to me to be an impossible statement. I submit to you for consideration that if a Christian is of little or no earthly good, then they are far too weak when it comes to being heavenly minded. Does any of that make you think of any Christians you know? What are we known for?

Well, we are known for a lot of things. There are plenty of things I could say here, but odds are that you already have a list in your mind if you haven't given up on me already. Thank you for sticking around! A couple months ago on a Sunday morning, my pastor asked the following question: What if Christians were known for what they were for instead of what they were against? (Matt Rawlings) What if... just, what if... the men and women and children who claim to follow Christ were known for their supercharged vision of a Kingdom and Age to come? Zion. It's like we are in a slumber, so busy rolling lazily about in bed that we do not see the adventure that awaits. Yes, the road is long and the winters are cold, but spring is coming!

Let's bounce back to Linville Gorge. Daffodil Flats is located just off the Linville Gorge Trail, over a mile south of one of the most notoriously brutal trails in North Carolina. Pinch In Trail. From the top to the bottom, the trail takes you 1.5 miles through the rough forest, down a rocky and exposed sunbeaten ridge, to a near mudslide embedded with roots until you finally get to the river 1700 vertical feet later. The Linville Gorge Trail is then far from flat with dead blowdown sometimes covering the trail. I mentioned that there was more than one way down, but that is the fastest, most accessible, most direct combination of footsteps to get there. Then you get out the same way you came in, and it's brutal when PinchIn Trail makes your heart feel like it will burst from beneath your breathless lungs. That trip to Daffodil Flats is one of the hardest stretches of six miles that North Carolina has to offer. People see the daffodils and whimsically say, "I want to go there! How do I do it?" The response, no matter what directions they're given, always includes the warning: count the cost. The reward is great, but the road is full of obstacles and difficulties. However, we still love to tell people that the difficult road is worth it. Indeed, it is.

My wife Jenny hiking down PinchIn

As a Christian, how do I see Zion? If I am of little heavenly mind, I will think of this Kingdom with little enthusiasm. Do I have to just be good and hope I get to some ethereal cloud city of harp playing goody-two-shoes? Let's consider Daffodil Flats as we know it. It's amazing. It's awe inspiring. It's a field of flowers that captures us with a passion to see them for ourselves, despite the path to get there. We who have been there tell those who have not that it is amazing and worth it. This Daffodil Flats exists in a world that is under the curse of sin. Sin is not just doing a bad thing. It is a prison that holds us and this world - including our gorges - in chains and bondage. The world will be made new - including our gorges - and this world will be our world redeemed and set free from the thick and oppressive entropy of sin. To quote Matt Chandler, "All creation is eagerly awaiting its liberation." The field of yellow that we marvel over every year is like trying to see the real thing in a mirror that is fogged over. Spring is coming.

If Daffodil Flats is what we see in a mirror dimly, what is beyond? What is to come? What is in store for this earth (and us, for that matter) when it ceases to be a hope and literally, physically becomes where God dwells with man? Does that sound like a dream or a drag to you? We read in Psalm 16:11 (ESV), King David (Slingshot Goliath slaying David) saying to God, "You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore." If Daffodil Flats is a joy and pleasure that we behold, yet begins to fade as we turn our backs...what will Psalm 16:11 joy and pleasures mean? How could we as Christians not be excited to tell everyone we know about this? Our excitement for Zion should be an amplified excitement for Daffodil Flats! We tell people to place their hope and trust and joy in Christ with all the same excitement of telling them that it'll be a good decision to get their wisdom teeth pulled or ingrown toenails removed. Our hope for eternity with God is lackluster. After the hard winter of life, Spring is coming. Jesus is the resurrection and the life. Every spring, after the cold icy winters, the daffodils emerge in a field of glory like tiny prophets who proclaim to the world that a resurrection is coming.

Daffodil Flats, at nowhere near full bloom

Maybe part of our slumber, what keeps us in the warm bed of not thinking about too much beyond today, is that there is some bad news involved in the good news - that pesky thing of sin that costs Christians to be shunned with the names of bigot and worse. If you're still reading and rolling your eyes at me, can I ask you to spend your disbelief very briefly? I saw this thing called sin in a new light this past week. We know from the Gospels in the Bible that Judas betrayed Jesus over a measley 30 pieces of silver. Also, the Gospels tell us that Peter, one of Jesus's closest friends, denied him to save his own skin. I heard a song this week, and it really struck me. It is perhaps one of the most honest songs I have ever come out of music.


He sings, "Judas sold you for thirty. I would have done it for less. Peter denied you three times. I've denied you more. What have we done?" We are all in either the shoes of Judas or Peter. Once they saw themselves as a wreck, the only difference between them is that Judas attempted to atone for himself on his own terms by committing suicide, and Peter came to Jesus for atonement on Jesus's terms of asking to be forgiven. Sin is not merely a stain on our record, an F on our report card, or a mistake we once made. Sin is our prison, and it can even be a prison that we love. Its presence is still at work in every aspect of life, especially the indwelling remains in my own heart. Sin wrecks havoc against us in pain, death, and heartbreak. You know how all that feels, and you don't need me to flesh it out. Sin separates us from God, puts us at odds with him as enemies, and the only way to be reconciled is through Jesus. He is our mediator. I'm here to tell you what I am for. I am for where God is. I am for being where God says he will be, dwelling with man, and I want you to be there too. I get no notch on my belt. I don't get an A on my report card. I don't get any brownie points for telling you. Jesus is the only door, which stands open. I want you to go, so you can feel what it feels like at Daffodil Flats without the burden of a curse. I am not asking you to behave yourself and straighten up. I'm telling you that there is a Good King, and a great good is coming. That is what I am for.

2000 years ago, when Jesus was crucified, we are given a window into the scene. We read in Luke 23:39-43 ESV - One of the criminals who were hanged railed at him, saying, “Are you not the Christ? Save yourself and us!” But the other rebuked him, saying, “Do you not fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? And we indeed justly, for we are receiving the due reward of our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong.” And he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” And he said to him, “Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise.”

I realize you may be doubting at this point. You may be like the person who has never hiked yet heard reputations of the Linville Gorge. You're saying, "No way am I going down there." From someone who has started walking the road, let me say with the most confidence I can give, that the journey is worth it. Yes, there is a cost. Yes, like Daffodil Flats (or any other place in the Linville Gorge, for that matter), it is difficult and takes effort and cuts and scrapes and exhaustion on the long path, but it is worth it because of the wonder and delight that is set before us. The King is a Good King, and he gives us reflections and signposts of Himself and His Kingdom. Reflections and signposts of paradise, unfading and unperishable joy, pleasures at his hand. That's a key, though. The pleasures are His. If we reject Him, we reject everything, and gain nothing. If we, like the thief crucified next to Him with nothing to offer, only ask Him to remember us in His Kingdom, then we gain everything. We are adopted by the King, become His sons and daughters, and gain everything. That Jesus died to be the door to Himself for us is indeed great news.

When you see the rays of the morning or evening sun paint the skies, or the dance of the Aurora Borealis dance beneath the stars, do you see the reflection? Do you see the reflection in Daffodil Flats of when everything will be made new? That is why we celebrate. Happy Easter to you, dear friend. Resurrection is coming. Jesus's has already happened, and ours will be next, either to life or death. May your long road take you to the Good King and the paradise that accompanies Him alone. Please, let's talk about it together.

Let me close with one of my favorite quotes ever, from the late since rising writer Keith Green. "You know, I look around at the world and I see all the beauty that God made. I see the forest and the trees and all the things...and it says in the Bible that he made them is six days and I don't know if they're a literal six days or not. Scientists would say no, some theologians would say yes. It doesn't matter to me...but I know that Jesus Christ has been preparing a home for me and for some of you, for two thousand years...and if the world took six days and that home two thousand years, hey man, this is like living in a garbage can compared to what's going on up there."

Some people are far more eloquent and more fully minded towards eternity than I am. A few of those resources are...

Appreciating Creation While Anticipating New Creation (Episode 87) #AskPastorJohn 

Easter Breaks Our Heartbreak (Episode 565) #AskPastorJohn 

Easter Breaks Our Sin (Episode 566) #AskPastorJohn 

Easter Breaks Our Mediocrity (Episode 567) #AskPastorJohn 

How Does Delight in God Fuel Delight in Creation? (Episode 452) #AskPastorJohn 

Tales of New Creation (Part 1) - The Rabbit Room Podcast 

Tales of New Creation (Part 2) - The Rabbit Room Podcast 

Tales of New Creation (Part 3) - The Rabbit Room Podcast 

Heaven. A book by Randy Alcorn

Mere Christianity. A book by C.S. Lewis

The Explicit Gospel. A book by Matt Chandler


Labels: , , , , , , , ,